Friday, March 24, 2017

Vegan 'Tabbouleh' Tofu Salad

Over the course of the last few years, our family has been cutting carbohydrates from our diet. Some of the effort has been due to health concerns like diabetes, while others are reducing carbs with weight loss in mind.  I find that I feel better consuming fewer carbs, especially reducing 'white' carbs like bread, pasta, and the majority of baked goods, so even though I don't have the same health issues as others in the family, I have made an effort to create and eat more dishes that are low-carb. Many of the new recipes I have been dragging my feet to blog will reflect this new diet effort.

My mother-in-law introduced the family to this recipe, which she got from a great tofu cookbook called Tofu Quick and Easy by Louise Hagler. Louise calls this 'Lebanese Salad for Pita Pockets' but if you look closely at the ingredients, you'll find this is just a tabbouleh dressing where tofu replaces the traditional cracked wheat. By substituting the tofu, this salad becomes protein packed and perfect for low-carb eaters (but I'm sure it is great in a pita, if you are so inclined.)

My preferred brand of tofu, Tofu House, comes in 19 oz packages so this recipe is written for that unusual size. Depending upon the size of tomatoes and cucumber, and how much of each you prefer, extra dressing for the salad won't really be an issue if you use a slightly smaller package. I eat this salad as is, but if I am lucky enough to have watercress, I will put a big scoop on top and devour it with great joy.

Vegan 'Tabbouleh' Tofu Salad

19 oz Extra Firm Tofu, drained and cubed
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon mint, minced
1/3 cup vegetable/olive oil
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1-2 tomatoes seeded and cubed
1 large cucumber, cubed
1 bunch parsley chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive oil, optional

In a large bowl, combine the tofu, lemon juice, salt, garlic, mint, and oil. Let this marinate while you clean and cut the remaining ingredients and add them all to the salad. Toss and serve with a dash of olive oil.

Refrigerate leftover salad, it keeps well for days if covered in an air-tight container.

4 comments:

  1. Replacing the cracked wheat with tofu works very well. Delicious! I cut the pieces of tofu a little smaller than indicated in the excellent photo. Thank you. Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good! I dislike tofu as a rule except in miso soup, but I'd try this and like it! This is Linda Martha btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I'd love to know what you think! The parsley, the lemon juice, and the mint really transform the tofu. I think this salad is addictive!

      Delete
  3. The tofu looks like feta in the picture which also sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Repost.Us