Saturday, April 6, 2013

Quest: Vegan Doughnuts, Wedding Cake

Vegan Wedding Cake Doughnuts

These may or may not be your idea of 'wedding cake' flavor. Essentially wedding cake is vanilla with a touch of almond, which is the flavor profile of these doughnuts, however the consistency is all doughnut, not a light, completely white interior, but a heavier more substantial crumb; exactly as a doughnut should be, or at least how I believe a doughnut should be.

Thus far my doughnut quest has not been geared toward making a lower fat doughnut, but simply in making a doughnut that is nutritious, filled with 'good' fats and made of real food. I am looking to provide the kids with a healthier alternative to a deep fried, sugar-soaked doughnut; one that provides them a little brain power to start the day. On this note I've been researching the nutritional breakdown of Dunkin Donuts (since it is easily available online here) and calculating how mine compare. I found SparksRecipes.com had a easy to use recipe calculator that helped put it all together. I chose Dunkin's Old Fashioned Donut to compare with my current recipe for 'Wedding Cake' doughnut:





The ingredients in the Old Fashioned according to the Dunkin Donut's website Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Enzyme, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Palm Oil, Skim Milk, Sugar, Water, Soybean Oil, Egg Yolks, Contains less than 2% of the following: Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate), Salt, Defatted Soy Flour, Soy Flour, Soy Lecithin, Wheat Starch, Konjac Flour, Wheat Germ, Carrageenan, Dextrose, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Enzyme Modified Egg Yolks, Gelatinized Wheat Starch, Colored with (Turmeric and Annatto Extracts, Beta Carotene), Defatted Wheat Germ.

I set about to look up all the ingredients because a few of them seemed pretty foreign, but most are pretty benign  albeit so far from any natural state through processing that I would be reluctant to ever recommend using 'gelatinized wheat starch', my initial reaction is not one of outrage that it has made it's way into a doughnut. However I included the link to the Wikipedia pages for a few of the ingredients above because I found them of interest; mostly from the "See what extra junk they add to a doughnut to make it last six hours on a shelf?" point of view. No thanks.

I'm honestly not thrilled with the total fat content of my doughnuts, I'd like to try to cut that down a bit, so future recipes will experiment with less oil, because even though beating the big chain by less than half, somehow I think I can do better.

This recipe is from two days of trials. Each time I let the batter rest in the fridge, the first day for an hour or more, and the second day it sat overnight and I baked them the next day. The recipes were exactly the same except for the sugar content. The first evening I added 1/3 cup sugar, but the kids felt these could use a little more sweetness, I however thought they were great just the way they were. The next day I upped the sugar to 1/2 cup and they felt that was an improvement. I wasn't impressed, and I think either the stay overnight in the fridge or the added sugar made the crumb just a bit heavier, so you can decide for yourself how much sugar you want to add on this one while I continue to work it out for myself. If you don't have the ground flax seed, don't fret, you can leave it out as I'm not seeing a significant change in texture when it is added.  I'd love to hear your thoughts, don't hesitate to leave a comment below!


Vegan Wedding Cake Doughnuts


2 teaspoons vinegar
1 cup milk of choice (I use soy)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole oven-roasted almonds
3 tablespoons ground flax seed (optional)
1/3 or 1/2 cups white sugar (see note above)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  1. Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Grease a non-stick doughnut pan with cooking spray. 
  2. Measure the milk in a liquid measure and add all remaining liquid ingredients, adding vinegar first to curdle the milk. 
  3. In the bowl of the food processor, combine all the dry ingredients and blend until the nuts have been pulverized and the mixture looks uniform. Add the coconut oil and pulse to blend evenly. 
  4. Slowly pour in the liquid to blend it into the dry ingredients and immediately spoon the mixture into the prepared doughnut pan. They can be placed in the fridge at this point to rest and bake later/in the morning.
  5. Bake 13-14 minutes and remove the pan from the oven, turn the doughnuts out onto a cooling rack and immediately place them bottom sides up back into the doughnut pan. The middles may have baked over the hole section of the pan a bit, but carefully just press them back down into the pan, remove any extra crumb/clumps from the middles. Flipping them during the baking process crisps up the bottoms and gives them an overall better doughnut form.  Return them to the oven and bake until they begin to develop a rich golden color, approximately 6 minutes. 
  6. Allow to cool a few minutes in the pan and then remove to a cooling rack. 
  7. Once cool, glaze (see below) and enjoy.
Glaze the doughnuts with 3/4 cup powdered sugar, a 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 1/2 tablespoons of milk (I use soy.)  The consistency should be only a bit thicker than the milk when done, allowing the doughnuts to be dipped in and left to dry to get that nice crackling glaze finish. 

This recipe makes 6 doughnuts. 

2 comments:

  1. I have all the ingredients on hand to make these...oh, they sound great....and Lenten!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are Lenten ;) I sure hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete

Repost.Us