Thursday, April 4, 2013

Quest: Vegan Doughnuts, Coconut Carrot Pecan Revisted


You know, I think I'm finally getting the wet to dry ratio worked out because I haven't had a failure since my first attempt at adding carrot. I suspect that one cup of flour is helping. I plan to test that and see how far I can push the nut mixture before we have breakdown again, but for now I'm focusing on success. I may be playing it a bit safe, but my family kind of likes doughnuts they can eat, and I prefer it too; the ones that are too messed up to even consume are a bit disheartening.

So this is a quest, not every doughnut is perfection just yet, I'm still working it out, but you know, these were pretty tasty! The kids in the house that like coconut said they thought they were good, but now all I hear is "but the chocolate is better", well you don't say? Imagine that, the kids like chocolate the best. Well, I'm not out just to make a great chocolate doughnut, I want to make all kinds of great vegan doughnuts, so the kids are going to have to eat a few other flavors. Can you even imagine the suffering going on at my house? It is rough.

I think these are a tiny bit too moist, which is hard to hit just right when dealing with carrot since the size of the carrot is going to vary, and perhaps it is the inclusion of the carrot that makes these more moist in the first place? I'll have to test that out. I made these for an after school snack and the kids and I agreed that the sweetness level was just right.

Since we do have two in the house that won't eat coconut, I had two doughnuts leftover for my breakfast this morning. I had only intended to eat one, but it was so good that I ended up finishing them both off. I don't even have guilt, not with the great fiber, reduced sugar, and carrot in there. They were easily as good or better this morning than they were last night (perhaps they dried out a bit?) I'm going to be making these again, I've got some ideas for tiny improvements. I'd love to hear what you think!

Vegan Coconut Carrot Pecan Doughnuts



3/4 cup milk of choice
2 teaspoons vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup sweetened coconut
1 medium-sized carrot, cleaned, ends trimmed, cut into 3-4 pieces
1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  1. Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Grease a non-stick doughnut pan with cooking spray. 
  2. In a 1-cup liquid measuring cup, combine the milk, vinegar, and vanilla, set aside. 
  3. In the bowl of the food processor, combine the pecans, coconut, carrots, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Blend until everything has been completely pulverized and the mixture looks uniform. Add the coconut oil and pulse to blend evenly. 
  4. Slowly pour in the liquid, blending it into the dry ingredients. Immediately spoon the mixture into the prepared doughnut pan. 
  5. Bake 13-14 minutes and remove the pan from the oven, carefully turn the doughnuts out onto a cooling rack, turn them over so that the top side is now down and place them back in the pans. The middles may have baked over the hole section a bit, but carefully press them back into the mold, don't fret if a bit of crumb is pushed up in the center, simply remove it with a knife or your finger. Turning them in this manner helps to crisp up the bottoms and gives them a better doughnut form. Return them to the oven and bake until they begin to develop a rich golden color, 5-7 minutes. 
  6. Allow to cool a few minutes in the pan and then remove to a cooling rack. 
  7. Once cool, glaze and apply coconut (see below) and enjoy. 

Glaze doughnuts with 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 1/2 Tablespoons soy milk, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Combine the ingredients in small (cereal-sized) bowl. Place 1/2 cup coconut in a second bowl. The glaze consistency should be only a bit thicker than heavy cream so that the doughnuts can be dipped in and the excess allowed to drip off. Dip each doughnut in the glaze and then hold it over the coconut bowl and apply the coconut (dipping in to the coconut didn't give me good coverage) by evenly sprinkling it over the doughnut, allowing the bowl to catch the excess. Wait just long enough for the frosting to set up before eating for the best flavor (and the least mess.)






This recipe makes 6 doughnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Repost.Us