Thursday, December 6, 2012

Chocolate Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have a cookbook philosophy (okay I have a philosophy about almost everything....) which I have proudly passed down to my children: cookbooks are for writing in!  In fact my books increase in value with every scribble that is added. Since I tend to stray from recipes as they are written, if I have any hope of recreating the dish, I need to make notes; the more detailed the better since I am not as young as I used to be!  Secondly, I need to know if I have made something before if it was any good or not, the last thing I want to do is repeat a disaster.

The recipe for the cookies pictured here is based on one published in Cookies! A Cookie Lover's Collection, a cookbook I have turned to so many times that the binding is now giving out.  Well over half the pages have notations and some are fabulous, like this one left by my teenage daughter on the 'Chocolate Brownie Cookies' page:
NOT GOOD.  Funny Taste.  Dry - not only does the cookie taste like sawdust, but the batter tastes like Play-Doh. 
Needless to say, I did not use that recipe for theses delicious cookies!  The note made me chuckle, proud to be passing on my love for cooking and the moxie to call it like it is (and document it just that way!)

These chocolate/chocolate chip cookies were a huge hit with the men in the family because they are loaded with chopped walnuts.  While they have the classic drop cookie texture, the cookie dough is not 'death-by-chocolate' rich, something we happened to appreciate once in a while since that means you can eat one or two more. Nearly any combination of chocolate chips can be used but the ones pictured here were milk chocolate and "everyone loved them" which is exactly what I wrote at the bottom of the page!

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips, any combination of white, milk, or dark
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts


Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a stand mixer combine sugars and butter and mix on medium speed until light colored, add eggs, and vanilla mixing until well-blended.On low speed, carefully add flour cocoa, baking soda, and salt, until a soft dough forms. Stir in chips and walnuts. 
Using a 2 Tablespoon ice cream scoop, measure dough and drop onto baking sheet approximately 3 inches apart.
Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the middles are set and no longer appear wet. Allow to cool one minute before removing from the pan. Cool completely on wire rack and store in air tight container.
Best served with a nice tall glass of milk.

1 comment:

  1. If I can read the whole recipe without needing to scroll down, I will try it! This one meets the criteria. Plus, yum wins everytime!
    MJinCR

    ReplyDelete

Repost.Us